- Title: Bioinformatics Analyst
- Code: RCI-18488
- Location: North Chicago, IL 60064
- Posted Date: 06/23/2022
- Duration: 5 Months
- Name:Sumit Rawat
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 908-704-8843 ✖ 232
Title: Bioinformatics analyst
- We have an exciting contract opportunity for a Bioinformatics analyst within the Genomics Research Center to support a collaboration with the Eye Care group, supporting drug discovery and basic disease biology investigations.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for all aspects of bioinformatics analysis for transcriptomics and other specialized NGS experiments including quality control, differential gene expression, and pathway enrichment.
- The successful candidate will work closely with a senior computational biologist to ensure smooth communication across teams and timely delivery of results.
- The ideal candidate must have previous experience in gene expression analysis, be comfortable using R to do data analysis, and have excellent communication skills.
What hours and days will this person be working?
- Typically between 9AM-5PM Central Time.
What are the top 5 skills/requirements this person is required have?
- Required Skill 1: Proficient in using R to do basic data analysis (processing, plotting…)
- Required Skill 2: Differential gene expression statistical testing
- Required Skill 3: Ability to communicate results to scientists with broad range of expertise
- Required Skill 4: Familiarity with basics of statistical modeling
- Required Skill 5: Comfortable working with NGS data (mostly Illumina short read technology)
What years of experience, education, and/or certification is required?
- B.S. in Bioinformatics/Biostatistics with 3+ years applicable experience or M.S. in Bioinformatics/Biostatistics with 1+ years experience.
What is a nice to have (but not required) regarding skills, requirements, experience, education, or certification?
- Experience working in Linux/Unix environment, including job submission using High Performance Computing (HPC) cluster.
- Experience analyzing additional ‘omic data sets (e.g. scRNA-seq, proteomics, pooled CRISPR screens, spatial transcriptomics, Massively Parallel Reporter Assay).
- Experience with gene ontology and pathway enrichment analysis.
- Proficient in literature search to identify relevant public data sets to support and interpret internally generated results.
- Experience with Limma and/or Dream for differential gene expression analysis with linear mixed models.
- Experience working with NGS data from non-human animals.
- Experience managing project(s) involving multiple stakeholders and facilitating information exchange
What is the environment that this person will be working in (i.e. group setting vs individual role)?
- Group setting.
Is any testing required for this role? No
Does this position offer the ability to work remotely on a regular basis or is it an on-site role?
- If remote opportunity exists, what are the options (i.e. 1 day remote, 4 days on-site)? YES, fully remote; on-site optional.
Other notable details about the environment from the hiring manager about this role.
- This is a highly collaborative project involving members across different geographic sites and across diverse functions within R&D.
What positions/background experience do you feel are successful in this role.
- Previous experience in gene expression and other NGS data analysis using R