- Title: Principal Software Engineer
- Code: RCI-12076
- Location: Waltham, MA 02451
- Posted Date: 08/10/2022
- Duration: 6 Months
- Name:Anish Patel
- Email: Anish.Patel@rangam.com
- Phone: 908-704-8843 ✖ 208
Principal Software Engineer
- As a Principal Software Engineer, you will be guiding software engineering development across several teams, and solving our most challenging technical problems, providing prototypes for our larger engineering team.
- You will actively contribute to the success of the org by creating a center of excellence for engineering and software architecture.
- A highly-valued engineer with an org-wide presence.
- An Engineer with the ability to very quickly learn new languages, new frameworks, and adapt and apply their skills to new technical environments with little to no struggle.
- Able to drop into complex, chaotic technical challenges and bring order and direction.
- Likely to not be attached to a single squad, Principal Engineers will float through the organization based on need and build core, repeatable standards that can be applied broadly.
- Principal Engineers cannot be hired/promoted in to their position unless approved by other principal engineers. Principal Software Engineers will typically have 20+ years of experience.
- Supports product teams to understand and resolve critical technical issues in almost any engineering product
- Demonstrates an expert knowledge of industry best practice in at least one programming language and technology stack
- Demonstrates extensive knowledge and commercial experience in the usage and implementation of cloud based solutions and products, containerisation products, and traditional on-premise server and virtualisation solutions.
- Demonstrates extensive knowledge in networking concepts and infrastructure in both traditional and cloud environments
- Creates complex architectural designs that are able to be understood and implemented by the engineering product teams
- Builds demonstrable prototypes to expedite the validation of proposed products or architectures
- Gains knowledge in alternative technology areas outside their comfort zone
- Coaches and educates software engineers at all levels so they can upskill and become self sufficient
- Participates in the prioritization of the Core Engineering team backlog
- Maintains a thorough understanding of the Client technology landscape and is able to work effectively within it to execute the company goals
- Actively influencer of company wide technology decisions
Qualifications and Experience
- Responsible for monitoring technical capabilities across product teams.
- Actively works inside teams to drive adoption of practices and ways of working
- Works with Core Engineering leadership to prioritise work across the Core Engineering landscape
- Promotes an open culture of continual learning and innovation
- Demonstrates new findings in technology regularly to the wider engineering community
- Actively working with multiple software engineering teams to introduce new tooling to align with industry trends
- Actively working with product teams to become aligned to best practices and standards while remaining autonomous
- Can effectively communicate an architectural or product vision to any level of the software engineering structure including stakeholders
- Leads internal presentations on technical topics, fostering growth in knowledge at Client
- Participates in efforts to move all engineering teams to a high performing, self sufficient state
- Leads presentations at conference events, representing the technical brand of Client
- Aids Core Engineering leadership with identifying colleagues suitable for promotion to principal engineering
- Participate in the hiring of new senior talent to Core Engineering
- Participate in the hiring of new senior talent to product teams
- Participate in the creation of hiring materials with Core Engineering leadership and Senior Principal Engineers
- Be a representative for Core Engineering across the organisation in organisation wide interactions
- Participates at conference events representing the technical brand of Client
Some more specific information on these roles:
- Inspire our product engineers to be their best through demonstration of software engineering best practice
- Help our engineering teams to design and deliver modern multi-domain architectures within an Azure and .NET environment
- Foster a culture of quality software engineering by demonstrating leading application testing, security and operations skills
- Drop into our engineering teams to help them solve their most complex software problems
- Lead curation and maintenance of software engineering documentation
- Represent us at internal and external events
- An expert in delivery of software products in the Microsoft stack
- Equally at home discussing modern front-end and back-end delivery technologies
- Passionate about ensuring software engineers have the right space and tools to do their jobs well
- An advocate for delivering software products that are of the highest quality and maintainability
- Able to bring innovative skills and learning to the engineering teams you work with
- An influencer amongst technical leadership, pushing to drive the company towards best practice software engineering
- Possessing outstanding written, verbal and presentation skills